Finally back home

Hello, visitors! How are you all? Well, I hope!

I’m extremely happy to announce that I’m back home! Now, don’t get me wrong – traveling is great, and this particular one was a lovely trip. But even seeing a new place and staying at a beautiful hotel… there is no place like home.

With that out of the way, I thought I’d quickly sum up the experience before moving on to more interesting themes, because why not, right?

Monday, the 26th

I’ve worked normally on Monday, as we were traveling late at night (cheaper and we get more time in the actual place, since we’re already there in the early morning), and then my dad picked me up so we could all get a cab out of their home. 

When we got to the airport, it looked pretty sad and dull, even though it was around nine something – our flight was scheduled to a bit later than eleven. We hung out, ate, and just… strolled there until boarding, as there wasn’t much to do or see.

The flight was short and peaceful. I confess I was really stressed because I was seated by a stranger and there was a lady with a baby not too far away from me. The baby did cry a little during take off, but she managed to calm him down, and we had a pretty quiet flight.

Tuesday, the 27th

We got to the airport in Porto Seguro at about 47 past midnight, and there was someone from the travel agency waiting for us already. He let us know we had gotten upgraded to a different, better hotel, at no cost. Dad and I didn’t mind it, as we’re pretty easy going. Mom, though, started complaining right away and complained all the way to the (lovely) hotel and, in the room, all the way up until we finally settled down and got to bed at about 2 in the morning.

20180327_081334A picture of our hotel, taken from the breakfast table

After we got a good night’s sleep, we got up and went to have breakfast before taking a city tour. We had a meeting with a guide from the agency to schedule our other plans for the days we would be there, and then off we went. 

We got a lot of history on how the place was founded, visited historical buildings, and all that good stuff. I won’t go into detail here, otherwise I’d spend three days typing this post. Maybe I’ll do it in the future, time allowing it.

20180327_123658Picture taken during the city tour

After the tour ended, we went back to the hotel and left only to have dinner and explore our surroundings,  before getting back in to rest for the second day of activities.

Wednesday, the 28th

On Wednesday, we took a trip to Arraial D’Ajuda, a district within the city of Porto Seguro. The trip consisted of three parts – a visit to Taípe Beach (note: Taípe is an indigenous word that means turtle, as the beach is known for being frequented by many sea turtles, both in the water and on land to lay their eggs), lunch on the beach, and then a visit to the village of Arraial D’Ajuda itself.


Taípe Beach

A bit of history. Local tradition says there was a time a long time ago when the village was suffering from a shortage in drinking water. A lumberjack who worked around the area found something on his way to work. It was an image of Nossa Senhora D’Ajuda (Our lady the helper, in free translation). He took it home, put it in a drawer and went to sleep. In the morning, he went to the drawer and the image was gone. Since he had to go to work, he didn’t spend too  much time looking around and left. Lo and behold, the image was at the same time he had originally found it. He took it again, and the same thing happened the next day. He then figured out that the saint wanted to stay where she was, and a chapel was built there. And, during the process of building it, they found clean water not too far from the place. Of course, I can’t claim it’s true – or not -, but this is the general idea behind the current name of the village.

20180328_143724The small village of Arraial D’Ajuda (feat. my parents)

20180328_143837Behind the church, where people tie those ribbons and pray for a ‘grace’, something they really want to see happen in their lives

After visiting the village, we went home to prepare for the last – and, in my opinion, best – of our days in there.

Thursday, the 29th

On our last day in Porto Seguro. The first part of the trip was a visit to an indigenous village. The people who live there are the Pataxó, and they were extremely welcoming. Sadly, I didn’t really take pictures, as I was too involved in learning about their culture and participating in the activities – face painting, dancing, listening to lectures and participating in some sports, such as throwing the tacape (a kind of spear used for hunting) and going on a tug-of-war match with the local ladies, which we obviously lost, but had a lot of fun – to stay glued to my phone.

After the activities, we tried fish they roast inside a palm – which was delicious, by the way -, and then went down for lunch (the reservation is up a very steep hill, but 100% worth the hike up there).

Lunch was at a Brazilian steak house, and excellent, though I just nibbled on some meat, as I wasn’t feeling well. Still worth it, and it was covered by our package (except for drinks and dessert, but we didn’t really spend a lot on those).

After lunch, we went to the Discovery Memorial, where we heard about when the Portuguese came to Brazil, then saw replica of paintings, Portuguese tiles and maps, and then we visit a replica of a caravela, the kind of ship they have brought here.

20180329_145056Replica of the caravela

After visiting the replica of the caravela and hearing a little about how things worked in there – how they slept, and how they disposed of their waste, etc, we went down to a replica of an indigenous home, called an oca, where there are some utensils, pictured below. I apologize if any of the pictures is not too good, as they (and all other pictures here) were taken on my phone.


20180329_14542520180329_14541220180329_145420Pictures taken of the utensils made and used by local natives

After this visitation, we went back to the hotel, and, as we were all too tired to go out, had dinner in the hotel and waited to come home.

So, that’s the end of the long and amazing saga of me taking three days off of work to travel with my parents.

It was tiring as hell. My legs still hurt. My right arm hurts from the tug of war. My right leg is scraped from being dragged on the floor.

And I loved every bit of it.

Many blessings, and see you on the next post!

One thought on “Finally back home”

Talk to me!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.